- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – 5
• 1 tsp red chilli powder
• 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
• Salt to taste
• 2 tbsp Curd
• 2 tbsp Tandoori Chicken Masala (Optional) – I use Shan Masala
• 1 tbsp Oil
• 4 tbsp/ one- fourth cube Butter (you can also put little less if you prefer to use less butter)
• 1 tsp Roasted Ground Cumin
• 3.5 cans chopped Tomatoes (Each can I used had 400g Net Weight) – Fresh Tomatoes can also be used but they will have to be blanched.
• 4 tsp Sugar
• Salt to taste
• 200 ml Double Cream
• 2 sliced green chilies
• 2 tsp Ginger Paste or Fresh ginger 1 inch piece
• 3 cloves Garlic
• 1 Tsp Crushed Dried Fenugreek Leaves (kasoori methi)
• 1 tsp Turmeric
• 6 Green cardamom
• 1 tsp Ketchup
• Coriander- Handful
• 1 tsp Cream
For marinating the chicken:
• Marinate the chicken in red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, salt, curd and tandoori chicken masala and refrigerate for an hour. (It is best to refrigerate it overnight but sometimes I only do it for an hour or even less)
• For best results, roast the marinated chicken in a tandoor or grill it in the microwave till it is three-fourth done. If you don’t have enough time to do this step, you can also take a little oil in a pan and add the marinated chicken and cook till three-fourth done (I usually do this)
For the chicken gravy:
• Heat oil in a karahi on high heat. Add garlic, split green chilies and stir fry for a few seconds.
• Add canned tomatoes and let it cook. Stir continuously.
• Add ginger paste, salt, turmeric, Roasted Ground Cumin, sugar and mix it well. Cook for 5 minutes.
• Blend this mixture in a food mixer/grinder so it has a smooth consistency.
• Pour the mixture back in the Karahi and add the cream, ketchup and crushed fenugreek leaves. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
• Now add the prepared chicken and mix well.
• Put crushed Green cardamom for flavor and let it cook on medium heat for 15- 20 minutes. Cook till chicken is done and gravy is of the required consistency.
• (In case you like it creamier, you can add more butter and cream)
• Garnish with cream and coriander.
• Butter Chicken is ready to eat. Serve hot with naan or basmati rice.
(Please Note: tsp= teaspoon, tbsp= tablespoon)