Many people who do not eat meat/chicken, still eat eggs. There are several different styles for making Egg Curry and this recipe is North Indian in origin. This is a quick recipe which is easy to make and enjoyed by both vegetarians and meat lovers alike.
Serving Size: 6
- Boiled Eggs – 10
- Oil-2 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic paste- 1 tsp (Alternative- fresh ginger and garlic)
- Finely chopped Onion- 1 Cup
- Grated tomatoes- 1 Cup (Alternative- canned chopped tomatoes)
- Ground roasted cumin- 1 tsp (Alternative- whole cumin seeds: Ground roasted cumin seeds give an enhanced flavour)
- Ground lightly roasted coriander seeds- 1 tsp (Alternative – whole coriander seeds: Ground lightly roasted coriander seeds give an enhanced flavour)
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
- Salt- According to taste
- Red Chilli- According to taste
- Slit Green Chilli- 1 (You can add more if you like your curry spicy)
- Cream- 2- 3 tbsp
- Green Cardamom- 2 (Cardamom has a wonderful aroma and a spicy-sweet flavour. Extract the seeds and add them whole or ground.)
- Sugar- a pinch
- Water- one and a half cup
- Butter – 1tsp optional
- Coriander – handful
- Heat oil in a (non-stick) pan and add ground roasted cumin and coriander seeds [Frying spices in oil enhances the original flavor of the spices].
- Once they start spluttering, add ginger garlic paste and onion.
- Fry them for 4 to 5 minutes till the onions turn golden brown.
- Now add grated tomatoes, salt, turmeric, red chilli and cook it till oil separates.
- Add cream to the gravy and mix it so it blends well in the gravy.
- Lower the flame, add cardamom, a pinch of sugar, and slit green chili and mix well.
- Cook the gravy for 4 to 5 min
- [If you like your curry smooth- you can cool down this mixture and blend it. – Optional]
- Cut the boiled eggs into halves and add it to the curry and mix well.
- Add water, let it come to a boil [Check salt and add if needed]
- Once boiled, lower the flame and add butter (optional) and cook till the curry is thick (the thickness depends on your personal preference)
- Garnish egg curry with cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan / parantha / Roti or basmati rice.
[For a healthier Option you can replace Cream with Yogurt]
(Please Note: tsp= teaspoon, tbsp= tablespoon)